Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Radical – Taking back your faith from the American Dream by David Platt



I kept hearing about this book, Radical - by David Platt, from several friends of mine who attend Hidden Valley Community Church with me.  The story that struck me the most came from Patrick, our new Worship Leader and Director.  Patrick, his wife Megan and their 2 girls came to us, in Wisconsin, from the rather large and warm state of Texas. 

Here’s the story - When Patrick was looking for a job they confined the search to the Texas area. After reading the book Radical they decided to expand the job search and go where they felt God was calling them to.  The decision to read this book and a lot of prayer lead them to Wisconsin.  I thought that if one book can have such an impact on one family, leading them to relocate to a place where they do not know a single person.  What kind of impact will it have on my life?

So I asked my mom for her copy and was excited when she dropped it off.  The book talks about how we have adapted the Biblical church to fit our own American culture.  David Platt calls you to be Radical and do the things it takes to truly be a disciple of Jesus.  Give to the poor, live with less (lots less), trust God and spread the Gospel across the world.

Reading this book has prompted me to take a leap of faith and embark on a project to help those with less than I have.  I have been convicted to get over my nerves and spread the gospel.  I have to, no need to reach out to those around me.

Radical is another book that I am recommending to everyone I know.  I’m putting it on my husband’s reading pile tonight.  =)

I give this book 5 out of 5 stars.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment