Sunday, March 20, 2011

Spoken From the Heart by Laura Bush

I've wanted to read Spoken From the Heart by Laura Bush ever since I saw her appear on the Oprah Show last fall.  I was hoping to get it for Christmas but Santa said he couldn't find it.  So I picked it up at the local library.  I really love reading autobiographies on strong, loving women.

The beginning of the book read a little slow I will admit.  She talked about her childhood and growing up in Midland, TX., how her and George met and their journey to the White House.  What I found the most interesting was all the things she accomplished while George Bush was president.  Laura loves books and was a librarian at one point in her life.  She pushed for literacy in schools and raised funds to help the libraries purchase more books.  Laura was also an advocate for Afghanistan women, fighting for their rights.  The injustices that Laura say all over the world deeply affected her and she vowed to do something about it.  She certainly used her time in the White House as a chance to change the world, even if it was one project at a time.

I definitely give this book 5 out of 5 stars.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment